Bacteria and Archaea represent the most diverse range of organisms on the planet and this is reflected by the many different strategies for extracting DNA from different species. The prepGEM Bacteria kit has been shown to be effective on a wide range of species including Gram -ve and Gram +ve bacteria, Mycobacteria and samples presented in mucus and biofilm.
The method can be optimised easily for different sample types, and species and instructions are provided.
The approach for extracting DNA from tougher bacteria uses a patented technology where mesophilic enzymes are mixed with the prepGEM thermophilic proteinase (something you cannot do with mesophilic proteinases like proteinase K). The result is a hands-off, simple method that protects the integrity of the sample and the safety of the laboratory staff.
- The kit uses optimized methods and formulations to provide DNA in 15 – 25 minutes.
- The method does not rely on washes, beads or columns.
- Reactions are largely closed-tube and hands-off, thereby protecting staff from pathogens.
- The kit uses fewer tips and tubes than any other method. This makes it low-cost and eco-friendly.
- All buffers and reagents are PCR compatible – no downstream purification is required.
Some of the steps are optional in the method so we would recommend that you optimize for your favourite organism. There are two optional steps in the procedures:
- A prewash with the WASH solution.
- The lysozyme and incubation step at 37°C.
The best starting points for your optimisatoin are summarized below.
The WASH solution is an osmotically buffered surfactant that removes polysaccharides and so is intended only for mucosal samples and capsuled bacteria. It is useful for mixed mucosal samples in that it solublises the mucus while protecting the more fragile speces.
The lysozyme is only needed for species with tough cell walls like Gram +ves
A few of the methods can be downloaded below but feel free to contact us for help